INSTITUTE FOR LAY ECCLESIAL MINISTRY AND SERVICE
THE ART OF FORMING THOSE CALLED TO MINISTRY
The Institute for Lay Ecclesial Ministry and Service provides an integral well-rounded pastoral formation to the lay faithful who, moved by the Holy Spirit, want to follow Christ through service in the lay pastoral ministry of the Archdiocese of San Antonio and the global Church. The Institute will form lay leaders called to serve in Catechetical Ministry, Liturgical Ministry, Marriage and Family Ministry, Youth Ministry, and Pastoral Care.
The Certification Process and Formation Program of the Archdiocese of San Antonio provides the basic theological understandings, spiritual formation and ministerial methodology necessary for those who are appointed by their pastors to accompany adults, youth or children.
The Archdiocesan Institute Facilitates Three Paths to Formation for the Laity:
Parish Ministry Formation
For Volunteer Parish Ministers
Six courses that can usually be completed within 1 year:
- Called and Sent (1-day seminar)
- Sacred Scripture (10 hrs)
- Profession of Faith: Creed (10 hrs)
- Liturgy and Sacraments (10 hrs)
- Life in Christ: Morality (10 hrs)
- Specialized Ministry (1-day course)
Courses takes place in parishes and deaneries in rural and urban areas at the request of the pastor. An online option is also available.
Ongoing continuing education offerings after final course
Equivalent to a Level 1 and Level 2 Certification on the previous model of formation
Cost: Only $20 per course ($120 total)*
Lay Ecclesial Ministry Formation
For Those in Professional Ministry
Three-year formation process consisting of 11 courses:
- Philosophy in the Catholic Tradition
- Catholic Biblical Interpretation: Old Testament
- Catholic Biblical Interpretation: New Testament
- History of the Catholic Church
- Sacramental Theology: The Faith Celebrated
- Jesus Christ: God and Man (Christology)
- Moral Theology: The Faith Lived
- Cross-Cultural Competencies for Pastoral Ministry
- Specialized ministry elective
- Specialized ministry elective
Classes taken at the undergraduate level with Deacon Candidates and Seminarians at the Mexican American Catholic College
Key Aspects of the Formation: Pastor accompaniment, spiritual retreats, theological seminars, spiritual direction, advising, among others
Cost: $2,100 total paid in annual installments of $700*
Catholic School Teachers Formation
Religion teachers for grades PK3 – 8th who need coursework to fulfill TCCB ED requirements can participate in the following courses:
- Survey of Catholic Doctrine
- Introduction to Scripture
- Images of Jesus
- Introduction to Christian Morality
- Evangelization and Discipleship
- Introduction to Liturgy
These courses are offered as follows:
- University of Dayton Virtual learning Community for Faith Formation (VLCFF). Fully online, independent study
- Summer Intensive courses offered at the Mexican American Catholic College (one week, face-to-face).
Other continuing education opportunities are offered to Catholic School teachers (for those who teach and do not teach religion) for the required annual hours.
Cost: Courses are $50 each. Cost for continuing education courses vary.*
*Additional financial assistance available for those who apply.
Thanks to the generous contributions of the Archbishop’s Appeal, Financial assistance is awarded based on need. Learn more.
Questions or Comments?
Director for the Institute for Lay Ecclesial Ministry and Service
Associate Director for the Institute for Lay Ecclesial Ministry and Service
Formation Associate for the Institute for Lay Ecclesial Ministry and Service